About Me

I currently attend the University of Texas and I am majoring in Nursing. For fun I enjoy working out, playing golf and soccer. My favorite time of the year is during college football season! I work in the Neonatal ICU at Brackenridge Hospital and I love it there.

Friday, July 27, 2007

Steroids for Students

A Lone Star Opinion posted the following editorial about high school athlete steroid testing. I've got a few thoughts of my own on it.

While I don't entirely disagree with your point of view here, I think you have a number of misconceptions throughout your analysis.

Do we really want the state singling out our children and examining a very private aspect of a minors life? I would say no.

Ideally, no. But I'm confused about what is the 'very private aspect' of the minor's life. Are you alleging that the student SHOULD be able to choose whether or not to take steroids? In fact, forget the age, enhancement steroids are schedule III drugs in thing country and unprescribed possession can result in jail time.

Additionally, you later make comments regarding what parents could look for: "...sudden mood swings or quick massive growth...". The reality is that steroids don't always produce those results. I've known many a person to have taken steroids (especially in high school) and the results are always different, and ALMOST always negative.

If other substances besides steroids are found, what will be the protocol in that situation?

I think that is a valid question, but what do YOU think should be the protocol? If the student is found with say, cocaine in his or her system, what then? Should their drug consumption be ignored? From what I understand, most school districts have strict policies on athletes and drug usage. Are you perhaps suggesting that testing for steroids could possible result in discovering some other narcotic that might place the athletes standing in jeopardy?

High school athletes are armature athletes. They do not play for money, only for the love of the game. They take all the responsibility and risk upon themselves.

Firstly, I think there are many reasons why high school athletes play sports. Some play for the love of the game, but what about those playing for scholarships? ...something VERY pertinent to small Texas.

Secondly, the athletes (still students mind you) play as representatives of their school. These are not club team athletes being described, but rather high school athletes playing within the athletic jurisdiction of the UIL.

Thirdly, should the level of competition somehow dictate how one is able to cheat? If anything, it seems to me that students should be pushed even HARDER not to take steroids, given they have no financial gain.

While I can appreciate your efforts to suggest ways in which this sort of program could be avoided, I think the reality is that it [steroid testing] will happen very soon (if not right now).

Since I can fully appreciate powerless feeling a young individual feels when being subjected to such tests (especially when innocent), I do have a possible solution. I would propose in the law the inclusion of students being allowed to have their own private tests done by family physicians, state doctors, etc. This could possibly be subsidized if not entirely funded by the state.

If the real idea is to protect children from hurting themselves, presenting this as an option would allow (and hopefully encourage) parents to take an active role - which is really the problem in the first place.

2 comments:

Kris S. Seago said...

Excellent critique. VERY good work. Did you post this at Lonestar as well?

deeadams86 said...

Yes, I did.